Saturday, August 6, 2011

I Really Can't Do Anyting On My Own...

August 6, 2011

John 5:20-30

V 30 I can do nothing on my own…

This is true. However, I think that sometimes we use this in a prideful way. How can we make this statement that is obviously giving credit to someone more powerful than us about ourselves? Well it’s pretty easy; we are sinful creatures aren’t we. It is easy for us to take the godly and warp it until it’s all about us. We can’t go into an impossible situation, whatever that situation is, look at it and say to ourselves and God (and maybe others) I can’t do that. To know that the only way we will be able to walk through the fire is with God holding us in His strength. Nothing wrong in thinking those thoughts, they are true and God glorifying. The problem comes in the victory. If we are given victory over whatever problem we faced then we say “Look what I did…” while tacking on at the end a “with God’s strength”. When the truth of the matter is, we didn’t do anything, God did it all. I think that we sometimes think that God takes what we may have within ourselves and adds some of His strength to make up the difference, and then we can walk in victory over our trials. When actually it’s all of God’s strength that got us to victory and nothing of ourselves, when we are tempted to say look what “me and God accomplished”; we should remember that “we” didn’t do anything…God did!

No comments:

Post a Comment