Tuesday, August 2, 2011

The Choice to Love...

August 2, 2011

Song of Solomon 2:16 My beloved is mine, and I am his…

Fourteen years ago I put on a beautiful off the shoulder white lace dress at 6:00 in the evening and walked down the aisle to start what has been the best season of my life so far. I have never been so nervous in my life; not because I thought I was doing the wrong thing, and not because I thought something would go wrong. I guess it’s just one of those monumental moments in your life where you may not know exactly how your life’s about to change you just know it is, and it did, for the better. When I look back at the person I was on that day I walked down the aisle, I marvel at how much I have grown and changed. I marvel that that girl was really me. I have loved every day, every second of my marriage; I have never, not once wished I had not married Terry. I know that we were created by God to be together. Now, this isn’t a fairy tale so of course there have been arguments, and since I’m nothing if not emotional, they have been loud. We have laughed, we have cried, we have seen the birth of our three children…but above it all, we have chosen to love each other every day. I rest in the fact that love is not an emotion that one can lose but it is a choice that we make every day. We wake up and we chose to love the person we are with or we choose not to. I love that I can trust that Terry will always choose to love me, even when I’m unlovable (and I know myself, this is often), and he can rest in knowing that I do the same for him. When my children leave our home and search for the people God has chosen for them I hope that they will have seen our marriage as something to be imitated. I hope they will want what I have; they couldn’t have it better! Thank you Terry for the best 14 years may we have many, many more.


No comments:

Post a Comment