Monday, September 26, 2011

Being Devoted and Dedicated


September 26, 2011

1 Chronicles 29:5 …Who then will offer willingly, consecrating himself today to the Lord?



Sometimes we know what a word might mean in a general sense, like how to use it in a sentence without really knowing its definition. That was the case with me and consecration. I know its general meaning but really did not know its definition. So, I looked it up. Consecrate means “to devote or dedicate to some purpose”; that’s an interesting way to look at willing. It really defines what our attitude of being willing means. Are we “willing” to devote or dedicate” ourselves to God and His work, whatever that might be? I think that our attitude probable reflects a more situation by situation willingness to serve. We are willing, but only if we enjoy, approve or like the situation. However, our attitude of willingness gets a little less when we have issues with what we are called to do; if it gets a little harder to be truly willing and we start faking it. I’m afraid I don’t see that attitude reflected in this verse (or in any of them so far, honestly); I see only an attitude of being devoted to God no matter the circumstance.

No comments:

Post a Comment