Monday, March 14, 2011

Running Our Race...

March 14, 2011


Hebrews 12:1 Therefore since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight and sin which clings so closely and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us.

“Endurance is the steady determination to keep going despite the temptation to slow down or give up (MSB).” I really like this definition of endurance. It paints a great picture. I laugh each time I put on my horrendous running shoes, my shorts and shirt and grab my phone and earphones to go running. I laugh because that is so out of character for me. I’ve never been an athletic type of gal; I never played basketball and P.E. was pure torture to me. So, that God would so change my desires and make me a runner is funny to me! Now, don’t get me wrong, I’m not a marathoner or anything; I huff and puff, I barely make the meager miles around my back yard. However, with each step I know that God is teaching me something. He is teaching me to keep going; He is teaching me to make myself keep going. He is using my new-found love of running to show me how to make myself do something that it really doesn’t want to do. Each morning when I come in drenched in sweat, and proud of it; He teaches me that living the “faith-filled life is a demanding, grueling effort.” In this verse Paul uses the Greek word for “agony”; that word alone tells us that sometimes we will be called to walk paths filled with pain, but we never walk alone, or run alone as the case may be

No comments:

Post a Comment