Friday, July 1, 2011

What are You Seeking?

July 1, 2011


John 1:30-42

V 38 “What are you seeking?”

This is my first time to “journey” (my word for having a quiet time through a book of the bible) in a gospel. So, I was actually surprised a little bit by the verse written in read because they haven’t been in the books I’ve been reading lately. I like the words written in read because they represent the actual words Jesus breathed out of his mouth. These were the first that John recorded here in his gospel…”What are you seeking?” Jesus was actually speaking to a couple of John the Baptist’s disciples when they came seeking Him. However, I think we can ask ourselves the same thing, what are we seeking when we come to Christ. Do we come daily with no other intention but to know Him better and to strengthen our relationship with him? Do we only seek Him out of a guilty conscience because we know we should? Do we only seek Him when we are in trouble and hurting? Is our seeking based only on what we might get from God? I’d say that the answer is sometimes all three of these, or at least for me it is. Yet, for us it should be to strengthen our relationship with Him always. When we hear stories of people who have done great things for God, who have suffered and triumphed for Him; we must realize that they didn’t do it from the middle of the road. Instead, they did it fully and wholly committed to God and their relationship with Him. Jesus tells the church in Laodicea in Revelation “So, because you are lukewarm, and neither hot nor cold, I will spit you out of my mouth (3:16).” So, I’m thinking that Jesus doesn’t want us to seek Him just because we have to; I’m thinking He wants us to seek Him with everything we have, all that is within us because we want to and mostly because He is worth it. I mean when He set His feet to the cross He didn’t do it half-heartedly but with all that He was.

No comments:

Post a Comment