Monday, July 25, 2011

He Believed...

July 25, 2011

John 4:46-50

V 50…the man believed

Jesus and His disciples are back in Cana, where He had recently turned the water to wine. A fact I’m sure everyone in Cana had heard about. Upon His arrival, Jesus was approached by a man whose son was ill and about to die. Being a parent myself, I know that I would go to anyone who I knew could save him. Here in these verses we don’t see a father who just thinks Jesus could save his son, but a father who knows He could. When Jesus told the official to go that his son was healed; he did just that, he left. He didn’t require Jesus’ assurance; didn’t mumble one “are you sure?” Nope he just left. This tells me that this official knew there was power in the words of Jesus. One of my favorite things to do when I pray is to pray scripture. In fact, if I have something specific that I’m praying about I will generally put a verse of scripture along with it. This helps me to recognize if perhaps what I’m praying for may not line up with scripture and need to be reevaluated. There is power in the words of Jesus, but we have to have heard them, we have to know them before they can impact our lives. This official knew of Jesus; he had heard of his power. Through this knowledge he was able to seek the only one who could save his son from death.

No comments:

Post a Comment