Wednesday, June 15, 2011

The Words of Others...

June 15, 2011


Ecclesiastes 7:1-29

V 21Do not take heart all the things that people say,lest you hear your servant cursing you.


V 22 Your heart knows that many times you have yourself cursed others.

Oh this is a hard one…do not take heart, meaning that we should NOT listen or care about the words people say about us. For me this is a hard one, I’m someone who likes to do my own thing but I’m also someone whose heart is just out there. I like to say I’m emotional because that just sounds better than saying I’m a sap, but either way the words of others can sometimes leave a lasting effect on me. However, the question that I think is important is would I change what I’m doing in order to avoid hearing those things. In other words, do I allow the thoughts and words of others to control me? To be honest there was a time in my life when the answer to this would have been a big “YES.” However, through some major work of the Holy Spirit I can say that I’m much better; not to say I would never be influenced because I certainly could be. I found verse 22 to be the most interesting however. I mean do we really acknowledge to ourselves in times of hurt that perhaps we had hurt others in our lives, so get over it. I doubt it. Mostly when we are dealing with our own hurts we fail to think of anything else but our hurts. Yet, there are no doubts that at some time in my life I have wounded someone with my words. How terrible that is to think about and admit as I sit here. May God remind me of it when I find myself wounded by the words of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment