Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Is the Important Worthless?

May 3, 2011


Psalm 12:8 …and what is worthless is exalted by the human race (HCSB)

I sometimes read Psalms in my prayer and today I was reading this and was stopped in my tracks by this verse. The ESV reads it like this “…as vileness is exalted among the children of man.” Whichever translation you prefer it is clear that we, as humans, tend to place importance on those things that do not deserve it. What we think of as important, as vital, to our survival is in fact worth little in God’s kingdom. I knew immediately what this verse was referring to in my life. I knew what God was speaking to in my heart. But had I really thought of this as worthless or vile. No, and neither would the vast majority of the world, even believers. Yet, I know that God would consider them as worthless. Paul tells us to examine ourselves, although he is speaking of our salvation; I think it is also beneficial to examine what we are placing our importance on in our lives. What we view as important, what we teach our children as important. If it is something God would consider vile or worthless; perhaps, we should change our priorities.

No comments:

Post a Comment