Wednesday, March 28, 2012

just being a gal...


March 28, 2012

1 Timothy 2:9 …braided hair or gold or costly clothing



I have to admit I stumble on this verse every time. I mean, hey, I’m a girl all the way; no tomboy tendencies at all in me. I love to fix my hair, wear jewelry, and even match my purse to my outfit. So, how am I to take this verse; am I not allowed to revel in my womanhood, am I not allowed to accentuate the characteristics that make me a woman? In Proverbs 31 we see this great woman of scripture also likes to be a girl too, “…her clothing is fine linen and purple.” Since I know without a doubt that God’s word will NEVER contradict itself, there must be a way to be both girly and a godly woman. How? Well according to MacArthur the women that Paul was addressing here wanted to call attention to themselves. They weren’t braiding their hair, or putting on jewelry for the simple fun of it, but so that others would see them. They wanted to incite jealousy in the poorer women who couldn’t afford such things. They were malicious in their femininity. This, of course, is not ok. This would never bring God glory, so should not be a part of our lives. So, once again we must go back to our hearts. I simply like to be a girl; I have no intention what so ever to bring attention to myself or to interrupt the worship of God by what I have on. Like the Proverbs 31 woman, what we wear should only be a reflection of God’s generous blessing. Examining our hearts should tell us if we are guilty of wanting attention or just having fun being a gal!

No comments:

Post a Comment