Friday, October 14, 2011

my yoke is easy and my burden is light...


October 14, 2011

1 John 2:2-3

V 3 by this we know that we have come to know him, if we keep his commandments



What a seemingly impossible task ahead of us as believers? We already know that our normal inclination will not be to obey God’s commandments, but rather our sinful flesh. So, not only are we going to be in constant battle; we will also have to know what those commandments are. Some are self-explanatory (you can’t kill everyone who annoys you!) while even more are unknown to us and we must read and meditate on God’s word to find them. However, I’m reminded of what Jesus said in Matthew 11, “Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.” God hasn’t set us up for failure, instead, He has given us a yellow-brick road to follow. He wants us to succeed, on His terms true, but He doesn’t want our lives to be filled with turmoil. That of course, doesn’t mean we won’t have trials and tribulation, but what it does mean is that we won’t be going alone through them nor will we be going on our own strength, but His.

No comments:

Post a Comment