Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Giving Yourself...

August 10, 2010


1 Thessalonians 2:5-8

V 8…we were ready to share with you not only the gospel of God but also our own selves, because you had become very dear to us

As if sharing the gospel that would save them wasn’t enough Paul cared enough for them that he gave them himself; he put himself out for these believers. As a Mom I can understand his illustration used in verse 4 “like a nursing mother taking care of her own children.” I know what it is to love my children so much I’d be willing to fight anyone, to give them anything that is to their benefit if it’s in my power to do so, even so much as to lay down my live for them. However, what I can’t understand is how Paul was able to feel that way for someone who wasn’t his children; someone who he didn’t have such a deep emotional attachment to. However, in His word God commands us to “love your neighbor as our selves” and really who do we love more than our selves, right? In fact, He calls it the second greatest commandment. Unfortunately, God didn’t say only when they aren’t getting on our nerves, but all the time. We are to be like Paul and look at others as “very dear to us”, just wish that sometimes that wasn’t so hard.

No comments:

Post a Comment